Oral Appliance Therapy – Skokie, IL
Treat Your Sleep Apnea with a Custom Device
Are you among the 22 million Americans not getting the rest you need because of obstructive sleep apnea? Have you tried a CPAP machine to breathe easier but weren’t able to follow your plan? You’re not alone. Many patients are choosing an alternative to a CPAP with oral appliance therapy in Skokie. It may look like a simple athletic mouthguard; however, it will have a lasting impact on your sleep apnea symptoms and your overall quality of life.
Treating Sleep Apnea with Oral Appliances
A CPAP machine is the most traditional treatment for sleep apnea because it’s proven effective when used correctly. A steady stream of air pressure is delivered through a mask worn over the nose to keep the upper airway open. Although it can stop interruptions in breathing, many patients can’t tolerate it while sleeping, so they stop using it.
An oral appliance is an effective substitute to treat mild-to-moderate forms of the condition. The custom-fit device repositions your lower jaw or tongue to prevent blocking the airway. An oral appliance has over a 95% patient compliance rate because it’s comfortable and convenient.
When choosing an oral appliance for sleep apnea in Skokie, you have a couple of options, including:
- Mandibular Repositioning: Your lower jaw is moved forward and down a bit to keep your airway open. It is worn over your upper and lower teeth to push the jaw into position. Metal hinges allow you to speak, yawn, and even drink water while wearing it. Mandibular repositioning is the most common method used to treat the sleep disorder.
- Tongue Retaining: The appliance holds your tongue down to prevent it from falling backward to block the airway. There is a special compartment that uses suction to secure your tongue into position. This can also help patients who struggle with chronic snoring.
After an initial consultation to evaluate the severity of your sleep apnea and your preferences, we’ll create a personalized treatment plan.
Benefits of Oral Appliance Therapy
Oral appliance therapy has become the patient-preferred solution for obstructive sleep apnea. It offers several advantages that might not be possible using a CPAP, including:
- Can be used alone or with a CPAP
- FDA-approved for obstructive sleep apnea
- Recognized by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- High patient compliance rate
- Easy to use and low maintenance
- Custom-fit and flexible for added comfort
Am I Candidate for Oral Appliance Therapy?
If you’re struggling to overcome the symptoms of sleep apnea, it might be time to visit your dentist in Skokie for an oral appliance. We’ll review the results of your sleep study and take the time to learn more about the symptoms you’re experiencing. We will listen to your concerns and preferences to create a personalized treatment plan.
With the right oral appliance, you can breathe better to get a full night’s rest. We’ll help you invest in your health and your overall quality of life using a small, custom device. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation.